August 18, 2009

The (Boneless) Wing and I


There are few things I, and many people, love more than Buffalo wings. I mean who could resist the crunchy deep fried goodness coated in a spicy buttery sauce and dipped into the tangy richness of blue cheese dressing. My brother especially loves them and tends to use me as his own Buffalo Wild Wings warehouse and emporium.

Don't get me wrong, I love cooking but my brother tends to ask me when I really don't feel in the mood, such as, after work when I smell like the grease trap and industrial chemicals. So surprise surprise when I walk in the house, my bro informs me a gift is waiting in the fridge for me. Hurray! Chicken tenderloins and blue cheese dressing, what I always wanted. How did he know.

If you think about it the star of buffalo wings is the sauce. I mean if it wasn't for the sauce it would be nothing more than fried chicken or chicken tenders but seriously there are hundreds if not thousands of recipes for sauces. Just go to your local wing joint of choice and just see how many styles and variations there are to choose from, it can be daunting. So which one to choose?

I tend to stick with the traditional standby mild sauce but it's very...eh. I mean you get a lot of heat but not much else, I wanted something that had a kick but also depth and character, flavor but not overly complicated. So I worked on it, with all the opportunities my brother gave me it wouldn't be hard to figure something out.

The sauce I make with it now was produced by accident. Just bored one day. Added some homemade barbecue sauce with buffalo sauce and used it as a dip. It was what I had been looking for, the smokiness and vinegary tang from the barbecue sauce gave the boring old buffalo sauce some much needed life. The next time I served wings I made it for my brother and his friends, and they were raving about it for weeks. It had depth, complexity, character and was easy to make. Now whenever my brother has friends over this is what I am forced to make this, no peace for this cook. So here it is...

Buffalo Sauce a la empty belly

1/2 cup of Franks Red Hot
1/4 cup barbecue sauce
10 Tablespoons or 1 1/4 sticks of butter

Place Franks Red Hot and barbecue sauce in a sauce pan and heat to medium high. Wait for it to come to a simmer turn heat to medium and slowly whisk in butter a little at a time. Remove from heat and let cool just a bit, then coat onto boneless or traditional wings.




(Three posts that have vinegar in the recipe, this one was in the barbecue sauce. I swear I am on a vinegar kick this month or something)

No comments:

Post a Comment